Monday, 19 April 2021

Bowsprit | Cutting Out The Stem Slot

Satisfied that I had correctly marked in the bowsprit slot location, I started to cut it out.

First I drilled access holes and then used the Japanese keyhole saw to make the two vertical cuts in the rear of the slot. Here we are cutting out the port side.


Then I used the Japanese cross cut saw to make the upper and lower horizontal cuts, as here.


Here is a view of the freshly cut slot.


I have cleaned it up a bit with a rasp.

And here is a view of the finished slot, filed and sanded to shape.


That looks good, but I can't be sure if it still needs more tuning because I haven't made the bowsprit yet.

We're getting there!


No comments:

Post a comment