It was clear that gluing the mast together would be a big and time consuming task.
I did consider gluing the back piece to the sides first and adding the front piece later, but I thought the chances of the front piece fitting neatly into place were slim at best.
So it would be an 'all or nothing' approach, and I had better be fully prepared.
The test assembly showed as expected that I did not have anywhere near enough G cramps, so I purchased another 32. That's a strange number but the tool store offered 20% discount for batches of 16, so I got two lots. One lot would not be enough.
With the cramps taken care of I needed a long, flat surface to work on. The builder in the manual used folding tables for the task, so I did the same. My wife has purloined several of the tables which I already had, so I bought three more.
Here we are set up for gluing, with the mast supported on blocks and plenty of clamps in place for rapid deployment.
The bottom plug moved a little during the test assembly and I was afraid it might get pushed inside the mast when glued, so I screwed an eye into its end so I could pull or push it into place.
The actual gluing up session was somewhat fraught.
I used 43 G cramps in total. If I had known it would require that many to make the mast I would have purchased them at the start of the build. They would have been useful.