I left the second clear coat to cure for a couple of days before sanding it to a P80 finish.
Here I am nearly through sanding the port half of the boat.
The Rotex 90 sander fitted with a medium soft sanding head is ideal for this, allowing small and curved areas to be neatly sanded to a matt finish.
I finished the cockpit deck and had just started on the starboard topsides, reflecting on how well this sander stands up to continuous use, when with no warning it abruptly stopped working. Totally dead.
This was something of a setback.
Fortunately I had the second sander to fall back on. It's Rotex 150 and is a much bigger and more aggressive beast, so not ideal for this task, but I completed the starboard half of the boat with it.
The third and final coat of clear resin was then applied.
Here is the cockpit viewed from port at the stern.
And here is a view of the forward starboard topsides.
Luckily there is a Festool dealership close by so I was able to put the sander in for repair on the day it failed.
I can't finish-sand the third coat until it comes back from Festool which will hopefully be next week, so I'm taking a break from PocketShip until then.