The time had come to fit the transom - a day I had been looking forward to for a long time as the milestone event when the various panels which I had spent many weeks making would come together in the shape of the lower hull.
The hardest part of this task was holding the heavy piece of 18mm ply in place (single handed) when marking in the bevel. In the end I found it easier to measure the bevel with the transom held in place, and mark it in on the bench. The bevel is 4mm on the sides and 9mm on the bottom panels.
I made the bevel with my jack plane, like this.
It did not take long. Then I fitted it in place using temporary dry wall screws, as here.
I am using small pads of ply to protect the hull from the screw heads. It fitted very well first time. Here is the view from inside the hull.
Now it really does look like a boat!